Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cloth diapering

As the time goes on and I learn more and more about being a mom, I have gotten a lot of good advice regarding cloth diapering. While it might seem a lot more difficult, it really isn't how people think. There are new things now that are nothing like what most imagine when you say cloth diapering.

When I first starting talking to a friend about cloth diapers, I thought, wow, what a time consuming hassle. Not to mention after looking at the cost of the covers, liners, and inserts, there was no way I could afford all that! Eventually though, I came around to the idea that it wouldn't be nearly as expensive as disposables because its a one time deal. It's roughly $200 to get started and have a good supply so you aren't doing laundry all day long.

Kaylin in her Gdiaper!
There are several different types of cloth diapers out there. I got the BumGenius 3.0's at first thinking they would be pretty good. Well, they are, but I wasn't a fan of how thick they were on my baby. So I looked into the GDiapers. Not only are they effective, but they are really cute! There a several colors and I love the design. The velcro part goes toward the back so when a baby gets a little older, they do not pull the tabs.

For this type of diaper, there are 3 parts. The cover, the liner (it snaps in) and the insert which comes in cloth or disposable/flushable. The disposable/flushable inserts are much more expensive, and will not save you money in the long run, but they are better for the environment since they can be flushed or composted. The cloth inserts are cheaper in the long run, but expensive up front. Like I said before, the tabs go on the back side of the baby, but think of it this way, you "pre-load" your cloth diaper, its essentially the same as a disposable.

There are several types of detergents you can use with the inserts and covers, the kind I have found that works well is Arm and Hammer Essentials. It smells great! I walked into my daughters room this morning and that's what it smelled like!

It might seem like a lot of work, and it is, but it really is worth it. Babies don't get rashes as often with these either! Happy readings!

1 comment:

  1. I love the new header picture :) Kaylin looks JUST LIKE you!!

    ReplyDelete